Last Updated: November 1, 2019 (“Effective”)
Your privacy is critically important to us.
Regarding any information we may collect, we follow these fundamental privacy principles while operating our Services.
- We don’t ask you for information unless we truly need it.
- We only share information to develop our products, protect our rights and comply with the law.
- We only store information if it’s required for the on-going operation of our Services.
- In our profile pages and portfolio creation products, we aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what’s visible to the public, seen by search engines, kept private, and permanently deleted.
- We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If we learn that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with information, we will delete it.
- We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of eighteen (18) without parental or legal guardian consent, and unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of eighteen (18) has provided us with information without consent, we will delete it.
The amount and type of information we gather depends on the nature of the interaction.
- Personal Identifying Information
Visitors to the ET Services may choose to interact with ET in ways that require us to gather personally-identifying information. For example;
- Registering and creating an account to participate in the ETC. In connection with these Services, we may ask you to provide certain information about yourself to set up a profile, such as your name, address, phone and email.
- Visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, (e.g., information we request during account registration), with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities and may affect your ability to use some of ET’s Services.
- The ETC is free to enter and does not involve any hidden fees or charges. Those who engage in transactions with ET by donating and or purchasing services are asked to provide the necessary personal and financial information required to process those transactions. In each case, ET collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with ET.
- Non-Personal Identifying Information
Like most websites, ET collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as;
- Browser type, language preference, referring site, hardware model and other unique device identifiers.
- Location and log information such as the date, time and duration of your use of the Service.
- Search query terms you enter through the Services, and any information stored in cookies set on your device.
- ET does not use non-personal information to identify its visitors and does not disclose such information, other than under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information, as described.
- Information from third-party sources
- We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources (as permitted by law), which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you through the Services.
- We also may receive information about you from third-party social networking services when you choose to connect with those services.
- Personal Identifying Information provided and/or collected allows us to:
- Register you for a Service;
- Communicate with you through our website or systems.
- Provide a Service or feature you request;
- Deliver updates, sponsored content and promotional communications;
- Assess our Services (including asking you for your opinions on our charitable efforts and services and carrying out user surveys);
- Understand the way people use our Services so that we can improve them and develop new products and Services;
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities;
- They can remember the behavior of visitors and sign-in credentials so you don’t have to re enter credentials each time you log on to a service.
- From time to time, ET may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website or in house purposes and in order to improve our platforms.
- By accessing and using our Services, you consent to the storage of cookies and other similar technologies. You also consent to the access of such technologies by us and by the third parties mentioned above.
- Third party providers are not permitted to use non-personal information collected on our behalf except to help us conduct and improve our business.
We will not disclose your information to third parties for their own independent marketing or business purposes without your consent. Likewise, ET will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. However, we may disclose your information to:
- Those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on ET behalf or to provide services available at ET websites, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. For example;
- We may share your information with our approved staff, experts, mentors and judges of the ETC (“Experts”).
- Sponsors. We may share your information with our sponsors of the ETC and other contributors of ETC (“Sponsors”).
- Business Partners. We may share your information with trusted business partners. These entities may use your information to provide you with services you request, make predictions about your interests and may provide you with promotional materials, advertisements and other materials.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your information to companies that provide services for or on behalf of us, such as companies that organize events or that send emails on our behalf. These entities are limited in their ability to use your information for purposes other than providing services for us.
- Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described, ET only discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information when required to do so by law, or when ET believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of ET, third parties or the public at large. For example;
- to comply with the law or respond to compulsory legal process
- to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services;
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of ET, or any of our respective affiliates, business partners, or customers; or
- in the event of a merger, sale or wind down of ET, we may share your information as part of the assets of ET.
- Our Services may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by websites or other services and you should exercise caution, and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use. We may also make available to you certain products or services developed by third parties. We are not responsible for these third-party products or services.
- Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. For example:
- Certain third parties may serve advertising or keep track of which advertisements users see, how often they see those advertisements, and what users do in response to them; and
- We enable you to share certain materials on the Services with others through social networking services such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google +, and LinkedIn.
- If you connect with a social networking service, we may receive and store authentication information from that service to enable you to log in, as well as other information that you allow us to receive when you connect with these services.
Storing and Protecting Information
ET takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
- We have put in place reasonable physical and technical measures and steps to protect the information we collect and or your provide in connection with the Services.
- We take reasonable steps to ensure that information about you is available only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is processed, or longer if required under any contract, by applicable law, or for statistical purposes, subject to appropriate safeguards.
- If you choose to connect with a social networking service on a device used by people in addition to you, those other users may be able to see information stored or displayed in connection with your account on the social networking service(s) with which you connect.
- No website, Internet transmission, computer system or wireless connection is completely secure.
- We offer a variety of choices about how we use your information. You can make choices about whether to receive promotional communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the communication.
- ET visitors who do not wish to have cookies placed on their computers should set their browsers to either warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or turn off all cookies before using ET websites. You can do this via your browser settings. Please note;
- If you choose to turn cookies off, you may not have access to features that make your Site experience more efficient, some of our Services may not function properly, and registered users may not be able to login properly.
If you have a registered account, you should also check your (dashboard) for alerts to these changes. Your continued use of this site after any change will constitute your acceptance of such change.
IP and Confidentiality
The Entrant owns their IP
- ETC agrees that it will treat the non-public information in each Entry as the confidential information of the Entrant. ETC will not disclose the non-public information in an Entry to any third party without the prior written consent of Entrant, unless ETC is required by law, court order, or legal process to do so, including but not limited to a court or governmental subpoena. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Entrant understands and agrees that ETC may disclose Entrant’s entire Entry to ETC’s Competition Partners, Competition Judges, and professional, financial and similar advisors; provided that such other persons or firms are bound by agreement or law not to further disclose such confidential information to any third party. Entrant also understands and agrees that ETC is not required to treat as confidential any portion of Entrant’s confidential information in the Entry that (i) was disclosed to ETC without obligation of confidentiality; (ii) becomes publicly available through no fault of ETC; or (iii) that ETC develops without reference to Entrant’s to Entrant’s confidentiality.
- Representation: Each Entrant represents and warrants that:
- It meets the Eligibility Requirements listed above;
- Its Entry is wholly original, factually accurate to the best of Entrant’s knowledge, and is Entrant’s own creation;
- The individuals acting on Entrant’s behalf in connection with the Competition have the authority to do so; and
- It is the sole owner of all rights relating to its Entry, or has obtained all necessary rights, including all copyrights, moral rights, patents, trademarks, design rights, trade secrets and rights of publicity, for access to and use of the Entry by ETC, Competition Judges and Competition Partners in connection with the Competition or otherwise as contemplated in these Official Rules.
- Indemnification: Each Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold ETC harmless from any and all liability resulting from or arising from ETC’s use of any Entry.
- Publicity: Each Entrant irrevocably agrees that, if it is identified as a Winner, its company name and a non-confidential description of its Entry may be publicized in whole or in part, or not at all, on ETC’s website and through all other marketing channels worldwide. In addition, the Entrant will identify at least one (1) representative who will confirm the representative’s irrevocable agreement to allow ETC to use the individual’s name, likeness, voice, image, photo or video worldwide for any purpose and in any manner in connection with the Competition or future EarthTech Challenge Competitions or in furtherance of ETC’s mission, without compensation, notice or further consent.
EarthTech expects its procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you are not satisfied with our response or would like to make a formal complaint you may at any time refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (which is the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia).
Complaints must be made in writing.
Phone: 1300 363 992
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001